I always find it interesting how one style can evolve into another. A little while back, I got a month's worth of styles that originated from these cornrows into pigtails.
After 3 or 4 days, I used pipe cleaners to give the style a new (curly braid) look:
After another 10 days, the top part of JJ's head was looking fuzzy from a combination of car seat, napping, falling-off sleeping caps, wrestling, etc:
I left the braids in at the front and the back, and just took out the top cornrows. I'd been applying my home-made shea butter/coconut oil/shea oil mix to JJ's braids regularly, and her hair felt lovely and soft when I took it out of the braids.
|top cornrows halfway out - look at that soft, shiny hair!|
JJ spent abut 5 days with a big pony puff - somehow I forgot to take pictures beyond this one:
So now we were almost three weeks in from the original style. The bang braids and braids in the back were still looking decent!
I took out the very bottom row of braids but kept the back cornrows in and incorporated them into a new style; cornrows into tucked-in twists. Some of the "bang" braids also still looked okay, and ended up getting included in the new style too.
|cornrows at the back going on week 4|
|original bang braids going on week 4|
Both JJ and I are happy when we can stretch out a style. Although we both love hair time, it's nice to change up a style little at a time to minimize the meltdowns we both have when things take longer than expected. And JJ's hair grows well and stays in good condition with less manipulation.